Driver’s License and State ID Card Information

As an international student/scholar, you are eligible to obtain a North Carolina driving license or a state ID Card. It is encouraged that you obtain either one or the other for identification purposes in the United States.

A driving license will allow you to operate a car and serve as a means of identification.

A State ID card will serve as a means of identification however it will not allow you to operate a car.

Please note, for new students and scholars only, the DMV will not process your application for a driver’s license or state ID card unless you have completed the SEVIS registration with the Center for Global Programs & Studies.