International Students and Scholars

Welcome! The International Student and Scholars division (ISS) serves all international students and scholars participating in programs with Wake Forest University.

International students and scholars with questions concerning their visa status or other issues pertinent to their stay at Wake Forest University can come to the Center for Global Programs & Studies, email, or call 336-758-5938 to request an appointment.

As a reminder, please contact with any questions you have as they relate to your visa status.  Our entire staff are the only Designated School Officials for Wake Forest University, meaning we are your resources for all immigration-related guidance.  It is so important to us that you receive accurate and timely information to ensure you are protecting your visa status.


Please see our Frequently Asked Questions regarding the COVID-19.

    Status Maintenance

  • What if I go home this semester and take online/remote courses and am outside of the United States for more than 5-months? Will I be able to come back to campus this fall on my current visa and I-20?

    The 5-month rule is generally considered to be in reference to an absence of more than five months that is unconnected to study. If you are continuing to make academic progress in your classes remotely and your visa status is kept Active you should be able to return to Wake Forest on your current visa and I-20. Be sure that you have a valid travel signature on your I-20 or DS-2019. Travel signatures are valid for one year.

  • Will fall 2020 be held on campus?

    Wake Forest Plans to offer a hybrid model of instruction for fall 2020.

  • If I decide to not enroll (take a semester or gap year), what should I do?

    Undergraduates who have decided to take a semester or gap year and do not plan to return to campus for the fall 2020 semester should notify the Office Academic Advising of their plans and request a Continuous Enrollment Status (CES), Leave of Absence, or withdraw from the university as soon as possible. 

    Graduate students will need to request a leave of absence or withdrawal from their graduate school.

    Please email if you do not plan to return for the fall 2020 semester so that we can accurately update your immigration status.

  • Can I take all online classes for fall 2020?

    As an international student, you may enroll in exclusively online courses this fall semester from your home country in order to maintain your academic progress and visa status.

    Students who will reside in the U.S. this fall should enroll in as few online courses as possible while maintaining academic progress. Wake Forest is providing a hybrid model this fall so some on campus enrollment is strongly recommended for international students who are in the U.S. to maintain their visa status. This is an extra layer of protection to ensure that you are compliant with any current or future immigration requirements.

    Courses taught as Online or Blended with Online Pathway will not count as on campus as you can complete these courses without ever coming to campus.

  • Do I need to apply for a new visa if my SEVIS record is terminated?

    Although your SEVIS record will be closed, your F-1 entry visa may not be canceled. Current students with unexpired visas whose SEVIS records are terminated and who are issued a new Initial I-20 or reactivated I-20 s for spring or fall 2021 should contact the consulate that issued their visa to confirm that they can continue to use it for entry with their new SEVIS record and I-20.

    Students whose SEVIS records are terminated for any reason other than Authorized Early Withdrawal should apply for a new visa before re-entering the United States with their new Initial I-20.

  • If I enroll in a Wake Forest Study Abroad program this fall will my SEVIS record remain Active?

    Continuing Wake Forest students who are approved to enroll in an official Wake Forest Study Abroad program are eligible to remain in Active SEVIS status. To learn more about what Wake Forest Study Abroad programs are available this fall please email This option is not available for students who have been issued I-20s for Initial Attendance.


  • If I need to update my travel signature for my I-20 or DS-2019 while ISSS is operating remotely, what should I do? How will I receive a new I-20 or DS-2019?

    The travel validation signature is required for re-entry to the U.S. The travel signature is not needed to depart the U.S. The I-20/DS-2019 signature is valid one year from the date signed. 

    You can request many processing actions through your ISSDeacs ( account including requesting an I-20 reprint. We recommend that you first start a request in your ISSDeacs account and email if you are having any trouble.

    Currently, ISSS is uploading all I-20/DS-2019 reprint requests to students’ ISSDeacs account.

  • If I am traveling internationally to arrive on campus this fall do I have to quarantine?

    In accordance with CDC guidelines, any student returning from outside the United States will be expected to quarantine for 14 days prior to any in-person engagement with the University community. 

    Undergraduates students should email Housing for details.

    Graduate students please self-isolate/quarantine for 14 days upon your entry to the U.S.

  • I need to prove that I will be attending on campus classes for my visa interview or for my trip back to the U.S. to attend fall semester.

    ISSS will be adding remarks to student SEVIS records confirming our hybrid model of instruction for fall 2020 and the availability of on campus classes for international students.

    For more detailed course and enrollment information, students can request a Verification of Enrollment that includes confirmation of on-campus courses from their Academic Unit or their School’s Registrar’s Office and print out a course schedule that includes course meeting times and locations.

  • When will visa services resume?

    The Department of State has not made an official announcement that visa services have resumed on a global scale yet.  However, we are hearing that they are beginning a phased resumption of services.  Scheduling an appointment will be available on a post-by-post basis.  Please use this resource for country specific information on the ability to schedule an appointment.  

  • Travel Restrictions

    Travel Restrictions

    There are currently five different travel-related Presidential Proclamations in place that are banning entry to the U.S. from certain countries.  These proclamations will remain in effect until terminated by the President. The President has the authority to ban additional countries from entering the U.S. at any time.

    NAFSA is a great resource to see updated information about travel-related Presidential Proclamations.  



    The President has not terminated the Presidential Proclamation banning entry to the U.S. from the Schengen area, the UK, and Ireland at this time.  However, we’ve heard reports that some students who already have a valid F-1 visa may be eligible for a National Interest Exception (NIE) which would allow them to possibly enter the U.S. from one of these countries.   We recommend you contact your embassy for guidance on this, as there is conflicting information on whether an NIE is needed for entry directly from the Schengen area, the UK, and Ireland.  Even if you were granted a NIE, remember that Customs and Border Protection (CBP) always has the discretion on whether you are granted lawful admission to the U.S.  In the absence of an official announcement from the Department of State, Customs and Border Protection, and the White House, entry at this time from the Schengen area, the UK, and Ireland remains risky. 

I am a…

  • Services Overview
    • Immigration Advising for F, J, and certain employment based nonimmigrant visas
    • Programming for academic, social, and professional adjustment to life in the United States

    Disclaimer: U.S. immigration laws are very complex. The information contained on this website is designed specifically for students and scholars at Wake Forest University. Immigration laws and regulations are constantly evolving; we will attempt to keep this site up-to date, but we cannot guarantee their completeness or accuracy. The information contained herein is not intended to create an attorney/client relationship nor can it be construed as legal advice.

  • Reynolda Campus Contact Information

    Serving: Reynolda Campus based students, scholars, and employees.

    Center for Global Programs & Studies
    1834 Wake Forest Road
    Reynolda Hall, Room 116
    Winston Salem, NC 27109
    Phone: +1-336-758-5938

    Hours: Monday – Friday | 8:30am- 5:00pm

  • Health Sciences Campus Contact Information

    Serving: Health Sciences Campus based J scholars and H-1 employees.

    4th Floor, Piedmont Plaza 1
    1920 W. First Street
    Winston Salem, NC 27104

    Contact: Ms. Pamela Redmond, Immigration Specialist
    Phone: +1-336-716-1194

  • Bowman Gray Campus Contact Information

    Serving: Bowman Gray based F Graduate Students

    Medical Center Boulevard
    Winston-Salem, NC 27157-1001

    Contact: Ms. Beth Whitsett
    Phone: +1-336-716-4224